Facts About Fortaleza - 15 Interesting things you should know !
Facts about Fortaleza - Take a quick read of the 15 interesting and fun facts about Fortazela in Brazil the capital of the North Eastern state of Ceará. With a population of approx 2.5 million and home of some of Brazil's top beaches. The city was founded on Feb 2, 1500, when Spaniard Vicente Pinzón landed named the new land Santa Maria de la Consolación. The city as its know today was founded in 1726 as a village by the name Fortaleza.
So lets have a look as some interesting facts about Brazil.
1. Fortaleza (Portuguese for Fortress) is the state capital of Ceará, located in Northeastern Brazil.
2. The motto of Fortaleza, present in its coat of arms is the Latin word Fortitudine, which in Portuguese means "strength, value, courage."
3. Fortaleza has a typical tropical climate, specifically a tropical wet and dry climate, with high temperatures and high relative humidity throughout the year. The average temperature throughout the year is 28°C.
4. The state of Ceará in which Fortaleza is the capital was the first Brazilian state to abolish slavery in 1884, for this reason it has the nickname of 'Land of Light'.
5. Fortaleza is the home of the largest water park in Latin America called Beach Park.
6. The mayor is assisted by seven Regional Executive Secretariats (SER). The legislature is made up of the City Council of Fortaleza, composed of 43 councilors, elected for four-year terms.
7. The capital of Ceará is the second most desired destination in Brazil and the fourth that receives the most Brazilian visitors.
8. Fortaleza has about 25 kilometres (16 mi) of urban beaches.
9. From North to South, the urban beaches of Fortaleza are Iracema, Meireles, Mucuripe and Praia do Futuro.
10. The city was one of the host cities of the 2014 FIFA World Cup.
11. The first mayor of Fortaleza was José Freire Bezerril Fontenelle in 1890.
12. The prevailing religion of Fortaleza is the Roman Catholic branch of Christianity, due to the influence of Portuguese settlers and missionaries during the colonial rule of Brazil.
13. The city has a population of approx 2.5 million people and the locals are known as Fortalezenses.
14. Fortaleza is twinned with Miami beach in the United States.
15. The city is the 12 richest in Brazil according to GDP figures and the second richest of all the northeastern state cities.